Detectives have arrested three people on suspicion of shooting a man outside a Hollywood restaurant last month in a robbery gone awry, Los Angeles police said on Friday.
Jose Ruiz Gutierrez, 23, was waiting in a car outside the Bossa Nova restaurant on Sunset Boulevard around 2 a.m. on November 23 when a woman he was with stepped out and was accosted by a group of people who attempted to steal it, police said. Ruiz Gutierrez, who was carrying a gun, got out of the car to intervene and the suspects reportedly shot him dead and fled.
Detectives made the arrests in the case earlier this week, the LAPD said. LA County prosecutors have charged Jayon Sanders, 21, Abraham Castillo, 20, and Tyree Singleton, 20, with the murder of Ruiz Gutierrez, police said. The district attorney’s office did not immediately respond to a request for prosecution documents filed against the three men.
Sanders, Castillo, Singleton and a fourth man, Joshua Saulsberry, 21, are also charged with robbery, the LAPD said.
As part of the investigation that led to the arrest of the four men, authorities searched locations in Los Angeles and Fontana, seizing $ 30,000 in cash, a Rolex, a gun, handbags and two vehicles believed to have been used in the murder and thefts, LAPD said.
Detectives have investigated a series of home thefts, so called because of the method used by the perpetrators to locate their victims in expensive restaurants or nightclubs and follow them to their homes, where they rob them under threat. from a gun of watches, jewelry, money and other valuables. The LAPD is investigating 150 armed robberies and similar crimes.
A review of booking records shows Sanders had been arrested and released from prison five times this year before being taken into custody this week. He was most recently arrested by LAPD officers from the Pacific Division and released on bail on November 11, less than two weeks before Ruiz Gutierrez was killed outside Bossa Nova.
Sanders was indicted this year in seven different cases filed at three separate county courthouses, the records show. The charges included possession of a firearm as a criminal, carrying a concealed weapon, fleeing from the police, driving with a suspended license, robbery, robbery and assault. a policeman.
Sanders has pleaded not guilty to all charges. In the case filed this week, he is charged with theft, attempted theft and murder. He has not yet pleaded and his bond is set at $ 2.5 million.
His co-accused, Saulsberry, was arrested on November 4 by sheriff’s deputies in Palmdale and released six days later. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges of possessing a firearm and ammunition as a criminal and carrying a loaded weapon in public, records show.
Castillo was arrested Dec. 8 by Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputies on suspicion of carrying a concealed weapon and released the next day, reservation records show. He was not charged in this incident.
Singleton had never been arrested this year in Los Angeles County, according to reservation records.