Global online marketplace eBay has launched its authenticity guarantee service for luxury handbags in the UK.
With a handbag sold on the platform every 15 seconds, ranging from coveted ‘It’ bags to vintage classics, £500 handbags and over 19 luxury brands including Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada and Bottega Veneta , will now be reviewed and verified by a team. expert authenticators.
Following the success of the Guaranteed Authenticity service for sneakers and watches last year, which saw sales increase by millions of pounds, eBay expanded the program to include luxury handbags, enabling its community of buyers and sellers to make luxury purchases pre -loved more enlightened.
The market for second-hand luxury handbags is growing and is valued at £115.3 million to date. eBay UK, however, identified that 32% of shoppers have been hesitant to purchase a second-hand luxury handbag on the platform in the past 24 months due to mistrust and concerns about authenticity.
eBay’s introduction of the Authenticity Guarantee Service to the category hopes to combat this uncertainty and build consumer confidence when purchasing genuine second-hand luxury handbags.
eBay will work with carefully selected authenticators who will carry out a rigorous physical inspection, as well as the use of specialized machinery. The handbag authentication process includes:
- In-depth inspection: At the first point, the authenticator verifies that the condition of the purse matches the description in the listing. eBay Authenticators inspect the general quality of materials and serialization and use magnification and measurement to inspect brand logo, hardware, chains, zippers and snaps, analyzing engraving and checking the seams.
- Authentication proof: All bags will have a unique Authenticity Guarantee card filled with information about the make and model of handbag to confirm its authenticity and build trust in eBay as a platform for luxury goods from opportunity.
- Verified Returns: Sellers who offer returns have the same protection as buyers. eBay’s Handbag Authentication Program ensures that the exact item originally sold is returned to the seller through a verified returns process. Returns are sent directly to the Authentication Center, where authenticators check each item and its condition before returning it to the seller.
“We know that luxury buyers are already coming to eBay to get their hands on hard-to-obtain items through luxury brands. With the introduction of the Authenticity Guarantee, this gives our customers complete confidence that that they get an authentic product from their favorite designers and helps remove any doubts.
Kirsty Keoghan, Director of Luxury Goods at eBay UK
“It’s a game-changer for the luxury resale market. We think our sellers will like this too, as it provides them with a premium service when selling luxury handbags,” Koeghan added.
eBay luxury handbags on eBay.co.uk in numbers
- A handbag sold every 15 seconds on eBay.co.uk in 2021.
- Louis Vuitton, Mulberry and Gucci are the most searched handbag brands on eBay.co.uk.
- 65% of handbags sold are second-hand, 35% are new.
- 90% of handbags sold come from individual sellers.
Connect with us and other small business owners
Please go to our Facebook group for small business sellers and interact with other small business owners.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Business prospects for your business online Presented with a touch of humor
We do not share your information and you can unsubscribe at any time.